Linux Fundamentals (LF)
This Linux Operating System and Bash Shell Programming training course introduces the delegate to the main concepts of the LINUX Operating System. The most commonly used commands are described in detail as are the command line wildcard and redirection facilities. The mechanisms by which a user acquires a login environment are discussed and the main features of the Bash shell are introduced.
This course is designed to give delegates practical experience in developing and writing shell scripts. Most of the built-in Bash shell commands are introduced together with the main program control structures. This course is not suitable for C shell programmers.
Who should attend
Programmers, administrators and support personnel who need to understand the LINUX Operating system, existing shellscripts, automate procedures and write their own utilities.
There are no formal pre-requisites for the Linux Fundamentals course, although an understanding of and exposure to information technology and an understanding of operating systems is required.
To provide the skills needed to work productively in a LINUX environment to develop and customise shell programs.
The delegate will learn and acquire skills as follows:
- Creating, copying, renaming, moving and deleting files and directories
- Using the shell's redirection and pipe facilities
- Editing text files using the vi editor
- Setting and changing access permissions on files
- Monitoring and controlling their own processes
- Using the basic file and text searching utilities, including regular expressions (regex)
- Customising their own login environment
- Writing simple scripts to enhance basic command output
- Using the various shell quoting mechanisms appropriately
- Manipulating shell variables and user-defined variables in scripts
- Implementing conditional execution facilities
- Using the shell's built-in loop constructs where appropriate
- Writing scripts to trap user interrupts
- User defined Functions
- Developing menu-driven shellscripts
Currently there are no training dates scheduled for this course.