Junos Intrusion Prevention System Functionality (JIPS)
Who should attend
This course benefits individuals responsible for configuring and monitoring the IPS aspects of SRX Series devices.
- Basic networking knowledge, an understanding of the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) reference model and an understanding of the TCP/IP protocol suite.
- Attend the Introduction to the Junos Operating System (IJOS) course, the Junos Routing Essentials (JRE) course, and the Junos Security (JSEC) course, or you must have equivalent experience prior to attending this class.
- Explain the terms and concepts related to intrusion prevention.
- Describe general types of intrusions and network penetration steps.
- Explain how scanning can be used to gather information about target networks.
- Define and describe the terminology that comprises Juniper Networks IPS functionality.
- Describe the basic functions and features available on the SRX Series platform that provide IPS functionality.
- Describe how to access the SRX Series Services Gateways with IPS functionality for configuration and management.
- Describe the steps that the IPS engine takes when inspecting packets.
- Configure the SRX Series Services Gateways for IPS functionality.
- Describe the components of IPS rules and rulebases.
- Configure an IPS exempt rule.
- Explain the types of signature-based attacks.
- Configure a custom signature attack object.
- Describe the uses of custom signatures and how to configure them.
- Describe commonly used evasion techniques and how to block them.
- Explain the mechanisms available on the SRX Series Services Gateway to detect and block DoS and DDoS attacks.
- Configure screens to block IP spoofing and SYN flooding.
- Describe additional security flow protection mechanisms.
- Demonstrate how the SRX Series device performs TCP SYN checking.
- Explain the STRM capabilities for capturing, logging, and reporting network traffic.
- Describe the logging and reporting capabilities available for SRX IP functionality within STRM.
This two-day course is designed to provide an introduction to the Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) feature set available on the Juniper Networks SRX Series Services Gateway. The course covers concepts, ideas, and terminology relating to providing intrusion prevention using the SRX Series platform. Hands-on labs offer students the opportunity to configure various IPS features and to test and analyze those functions. This course is based on the Junos operating system Release 12.1X44-D10.4.